Boston Veterinary Specialists is proud to offer advanced arthroscopic surgical procedures. Our veterinary patients can now benefit from the many medical and surgical advances that have become standard of care in human medicine.
Arthroscopic surgery has been shown to have numerous benefits including less postoperative pain, faster recovery time, and more cosmetic results. At this time, minimally invasive surgeries offered at BVS include ovariectomies (spays), organ biopsies, gastropexies, and joint surgeries. This list continues to expand as the demand and technology grows.
- Shoulder OCD (Osteochondritis Dissecans of Humeral Head): An arthroscopic approach is especially valuable for the shoulder, as it allows evaluation of all compartments with a single approach and causes minimal morbidity. This compares favorably to an open approach, which requires incision through multiple tissue layers and allows evaluation of a limited number of compartments.
- Elbow Dysplasia: Arthroscopy is an extremely valuable tool in the diagnosis and treatment of elbow dysplasia as it allows superior direct visualization of the joint surfaces and structures compared to an open approach. As for the shoulder, elbow arthroscopy allows evaluation of all compartments of the elbow joint with a single, minimal, approach.
- Tarsal OCD: Arthroscopy can be extremely useful in the diagnosis and treatment of tarsal disease.
- Biceps Tendon Disease: Arthroscopy allows direct visualization of the biceps tendon for the diagnosis of tears and other lesions. Tendon release can be accomplished arthroscopically with minimal morbidity.
- Difficult to diagnose forelimb lameness: Arthroscopy is an excellent diagnostic tool for patients with persistent forelimb lameness in which radiographs are unremarkable. Direct visualization of cartilage surfaces and other joint structures allows detection of subtle lesions.Arthroscopy has become the gold standard of treatment for many orthopedic conditions. The team at Boston Veterinary Specialists is happy to put our many years of expertise to use in this minimally invasive technology to the service of your patients!
While under our care for any surgical procedure, our team provides:
- 24 hour care, including monitoring of vital signs (heart rate, respiratory rate, and temperature), diet, intake and eliminations.
- Close monitoring during recovery by our veterinarians and nursing staff – pain medications and antibiotics are precisely administered and your surgeon’s specific instructions are followed at all times.
- Clean bedding and caring personal attention to your pet’s physical comfort and emotional well-being.
- Regular updates for you and your primary care veterinarian.